Black and White

Monday, January 19, 2009

I DON'T DO BUGS!!!


Paul, left for Philadelphia this morning. He had been gone only 3 hours when I decided to do the Monday morning wash. I was sorting the wash, when this huge, hairy, bulbous spider crawled out from under a sock. I am not spinning tails here, this spider was about 3 inches across and it had eye thingys in the front. I screamed, the dog barked, and all heck broke loose. Now, being spider savvy, I knew that the worst thing I could do would be to take my eyes off of that ugly creature. Knowing there is a spider on your mud-room floor and knowing where it is, is better than knowing there is a spider on your mud room floor and NOT knowing where it is! So, amidst screaming, I kept a wary eye pealed on that big sucker. With my other eye, I spotted the heaviest,weighty, item that I could find...the Clorox bottle. I finagled the clothes away from his grotesque leggy body with my feet. Note* (All of that learning to pick up coins with my toes as a child was paying off) With the vermin in the clear,it took me three thuds to kill that gruesome rascal.
Laura, is at the mall today. She has no idea that her very own mother saved her. I am not sure if I want to tell her about this incredible feat. I will have to be a quiet hero.....after all she and I don't do bugs.

10 comments:

Kristy B said...

Ok Susan--Your spider phobia is way too funny! It brought back memories about you speaking in church and spotting a spider right smack in the middle of your speech. Too funny!! Fun memories. Glad to hear you rescued the family.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! You're my hero of the day -- 3 inches across! My scariest "spider experience" wasn't nearly that big -- at least your spider wasn't the jumping kind. It sounds like a real monster. Congratulations on your mighty victory. Shouldn't you be posing with it or something?

Kristen Weller said...

My mom and I usually just trap bugs under cups until a big strong man can come squish them, but seeing as how Uncle Paul was out of town... way to conquer your fears!

Craig and Kim Mathie said...

Oh, the tales I could tell about my bug adventures! I am so proud of you. Bug killing never gets any easier; it is a very tramatic experience.

Caroline said...

Eww gross! You're brave. A few months ago I had a similar experience. We had a spider creature with thick, hairy legs and eye thingys in our bedroom (not 10 mminutes after Brent had left for work, of course). I sat on the bed and watched it walk around the room (no, you can't take your eyes off of them!). I finally decided I couldn't do that all day, so I trapped it in a cup and put every book handy on top of it and a weighted tape despenser (just to be safe) and checked to make sure it hadn't escaped every few minutes until Brent got home. It runs in the family, this silly spider phobia...

SharonS said...

I love your blog! We miss you in California, but it sure sounds like you are having fun - despite the adventure with the spider. Great pictures. Sharon Smith

LaNelle said...

Yay! I found your blog! I'm so excited to be able to keep up with your family! And ewwww! I don't do bugs either!

Kelly said...

I have memories from when I was little of you and Paul coming to visit and telling the story when you shot into the back seat of the car to get away from a spider :) good times!

Anonymous said...

I just love reading about your spider victory - but I just realized that you have the incredible ability to skew your eyeballs in two different directions! Now I'm REALLY impressed. (As if your coin-retrieving abilities weren't enough) Way to go, sister o'mine!

kirbyzoo said...

This post reminded me of a spider incident we had here in Idaho. I hate the creepy crawlies - let me just preface this with that statement.
While cleaning out our garage a huge spider, about the size you describe came at us out of nowhere so I did the first thing that came to mind...I squished it with my broom. Do you know what happened when I did?? It exploded and a zillion little baby spiders scattered everywhere. I freaked out and let Kent do the clean-up while I made a fast dash for the door!!