Black and White

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Baby you can drive my car....


Laura, our youngest, is only 13, but she never lets us forget, that 16 is right around the corner. The very thought of that makes me cringe. How can she be growing up so fast? I suppose I knew that this was coming, when she asked for clothes last Christmas. This Christmas it got worse. She asked for clothes, shoes and make-up. When the clothes, shoes and make-up request comes, it is only a small jump to asking for the keys to the car. Wasn't it just three years ago that she still wanted an American Girl doll? I really started worrying, so I looked up the age when you can get your permit in Colorado. It is sadly, still 15. Sadly, because that means Laura is 18 months away from that permit. Yeah, I freaked! Then I went outside a few days later and saw my daughter. She was sitting in a toy car, (belonging to her good friend's little sister) driving around and having a great time. It was Barbie pink, and moving along at 1 mile per hour, and just too cute. Cute, because she wanted to ride in a toy car and also the fact that she could even fit in it. As she came up our driveway, (the really long one) she announced, "Hey mom, look at this, I am going be driving our Sequoia in 18 months, watch out!" I smiled and ran to take this picture. I waved as they turned the car around and slowly made their way down our very long driveway. I realized more than ever that I have to savor every moment with that sweet girl. She is a hop, skip and a jump away from high school, driving, proms, dating (cringe) and then college. I guess I am lucky that she always announces her progressing age. I need that reminding from my daughter.

3 comments:

Kristen Weller said...

Hooray for blogging! I'm so glad you guys have a blog so I can see what you are up to. I can't believe Laura is already 13. Wow.

Unknown said...

Laura!!! This is your favorite aunt, Aunt Nancy! Stop growing up so fast.....you are making me feel even older than I am!!!!! :) I think your Dad needs to get you a pink car when you turn 16. What do you think?!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, Laura Loo -- you are not supposed to grow so fast when you live so far away from us! I don't know about the Sequoia, but I would love to have seen you drive that little pink car. I miss your big smile, pookie.