Black and White

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Healthy Home?......NO PLEASE!


It seems to be a belief, here in Europe, that spiders and flying bugs in a home mean that the home is "Healthy." You could go months without seeing a screen on any window in the homes, leaving flies, mosquitoes and the dreaded spider to enter at their pleasure. In our pursuit for window screens, we got all sorts of stares and comments like: " If you have screens, how will the insects get back out?" to "..but the spider is good, it will eat all of the other bugs that come into your home and their web means your home is healthy." Is it so bad to want an unhealthy house then? I need to be able to open my windows at morning or night and not have company enter in through them. It was causing a little contention in the home anyway, as Paul would open a window to let the cool air in, and I would follow behind him closing it. I shouldn't have to carry a fly swatter as I travel from room to room nor be freaked by the over-sized spider that likes a certain corner of my living room. A kind friend heard our frustration over the lack of screens and got us hooked up. She helped us order them offline.

The screens are more like netting from the skirt of a ballet tutu, but they will do. We first have to put up Velcro strips and then stretch, attach and cut away the excess of the screening material. We have completed a few windows now and the cool air at night is delightful. So, to all of you who have a healthy house, enjoy! It makes me happy and proud to say...I live in an unhealthy home and I am loving it more!

3 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

The joys of living out of the country. If it helps I would have searched high and low for screens to.

Anonymous said...

Your tagline is a tease...I was expecting to see pictures of chocolates, pastries, and cheese! Instead you wrote about yucky spiders and bugs. Blah! Please write about Swiss chocolate next time and be unhealthy that way. (o:

kels said...

hahaha! I'm so glad you were able to find a solution. I'm also cracking up over the "healthy" home bit... we never heard that explanation. But it sounds perfectly Swiss! xox