Black and White

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

FREE Hearts, Hands & Feet

It is fair to say that I am fairly frugal when it comes to traveling. Souvenirs in a small village look authentic, but many times they have been made in China. What you see in Istanbul, as exotic souvenirage, <---(new word) can be found in London at some Kitchy store. :( About 15 years ago I started "Hands and Feet." When we travel somewhere my children always knew that I would call upon them for a "Hands or Feet" picture. Whether at our Nations Capitol in Washington DC, in the sacred grove of upper state New York or at the beach in California, I have pictures of my family's "Hands and Feet". I LOVE looking back at the pictures to see our shoe styles, my kids toes in the sand or their hands during different stages of their lives. I want to put all of these in a huge collage for our home one day. Included now is the improved "Hearts, Hands & Feet." My sister told me about the idea of looking for "Hearts" and I have made it my own. Whenever and where ever we travel, we looks for heart-shapes in nature. It costs nothing and is a great loving reminder of a day. I love when Laura has been scouting for a heart and shows it to me. I wish that I had done this when my kids were tiny. It really can keep kids happy and busy. For example, we find a heart shaped rock and put it in our pocket as a place keeper. If during the day we find another, then we compare. Majority wins and we keep the most heart-shaped piece. That way we bring only a small reminder home. Sometimes I collect the tiny heart-shaped rocks and write the name of the place where we picked it up. I have a jar of "Hearts" sitting in my living room. More often, I just take pictures of the "Hearts" that we find. Small stones in our path as we are walking up hiking trails, stones in a rock wall, a tree with a heart in it's bark or even a cloud overhead. They are all over the world. They are my secret little reminders that Heavenly Father Loves me. When Paul or one of my kids find one to point out to me...I just melt and feel more loved.

3 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

I love this! What a wonderful idea! Thank you for sharing :) I think I might start this with my family while they are still little.

Caroline said...

I've already stolen your hands tradition for my own family. Mom got all of us hooked on the hearts - even Brent gets in on it!

The Larson's said...

Hearts in nature are always like a present, but heart-shaped rocks are the bestest!
I'm glad you're enjoying your adventures even more than before.
And I'm happy because I just found out I have a legacy!