Black and White

Friday, July 22, 2011

Où est la gare???


Laura, and I, have been practicing our french. We have a few very useful phrases that we long to use, but have not had the chance as of yet.

Last week, Laura went to Young Women's camp, with our church. It was great, because she met some new friends. As a result she wanted to get together with them. Most of the girls either live in France, in a village by the name of Gex, or closer to Geneva. The rendezvous point was in downtown Geneve and I needed to get her there. We decided to take the train and bus. We have become pretty good at "training" it, besides, we have a yearly pass for the transportation in our zone. After her day with her friends, she would ride home on the train with Paul. Figuring out the closest bus stop to a location is always the trick, but we got her there on time. Now I had to get back to the Gare (train station) to get home. Wouldn't you know it, at that moment it started to POUR!!! I had an umbrella, but it was pouring at a rate that caused the water to hit the ground and attack from that direction. I looked like a drowned rat in minutes. I made it to and on the bus, but all of the windows were steamed up. You can not wipe them off because it is a center core that steams up when it rains here. I tend to get off at my stops when I see certain landmarks and not with the names of stops, because the french is spoken so fast that the names sound NOTHING like they are written. I was riding for the first few stops, when I realized that the last stop had been mine. Wouldn't you know it...the next stop took forever to get to.:( I got off the bus and needed to walk back toward the train station. We had gone through several round-abouts, so I was a little lost. Yep, it was still raining. It was rather comical, as I asked people one of our new phrases, "Ou est la Gare Cornavin?" People do not point here, but instead give very fast french explanations. :/
I walked the way I believe that I should go and came across a person with a suitcase being pulled behind her. YAY!!! I called out to her "Pardon, Madame, Où est la gare???" She motioned for me to follow her. We rounded a corner and the gare appeared. Within 20 minutes I was back in the quiet village walking to my home. Thank goodness I have learned some essential french sentences. "Ou est la gare?" Yep, I am adding that to my permanent repertoire.

2 comments:

Lisa S said...

I probably would have just sat down and cried...or just kept riding as far as the bus or train would have gone without realizing I needed to get off.. lol

Monica said...

I am so proud of you! "Ou est la chocolat?" may be another phrase to jot down. Have you mastered, "Ou est la bathroom?" (o: