Black and White

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Parallel parking + Europe= TRAPPED



When I was 16, I had to parallel park in order to pass my drivers test. Since that time I have parallel parked plenty, but I would rather not have to. In my 30 something years driving I have never had a mishap. YAY!

Last year, there was an interview with drivers in Europe. Most European drivers said that they equate the resulting stress of parallel parking to having to visit a dentist or the sudden arrival of unexpected guests to the house. Today, I saw why!

I went grocery shopping this morning. I had to parallel park, but I left about 1.5 feet between my and the other drivers. I was in the store for maybe 10 minutes. When I came out to put my groceries in the car, I was horrified to see that the two cars I had parked in between had left, and THREE new cars had taken their place. The front car was snuggled in with maybe 3 inches to spare and the space behind me now was occupied by two Smart cars. There was maybe 1 inch to spare. I loaded the groceries and waited, but no one came. I was a prisoner. I decided to take measures into my own hands and get out of this spot. When I turned on my car, the parking assist went BEZERK beeping and warning me to STOP! So I listened. :(

After waiting 20 minutes, a lady came to the car behind me and drove off. I was at last able to get out of that tight spot and get on my way. Give me the dentist anyday!

2 comments:

Lisa S said...

Hahaha!! What a read to start my day. I wish I could have been there to see this Susan.

marieb said...

Oh my! That's worse than DC! Geez! How fun!