Black and White

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Twas the Night before Christmas in Mongolia too!

Paul, Laura and I had four of our friends over for Christmas Eve. It just so happens that they are from Mongolia. There names are: Munkhjin, Munkhtsetseg, Tungalag and Ariuntsetseg.



This was their first time in a home that celebrates Christmas--with all of the Christmas traditions that go with it. It was so fun for us to hear about what they had thought of Christmas and Santa Claus. Most of their knowledge came from movies they saw when they were little. It made me hope that they didn't show National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation in Mongolia!
We had a nice Christmas Eve dinner, which they shared with us. After dinner We read Luke 2, about the birth of the Savior. Then we watched a Christmas concert special with the Mormon Tabernacle choir and David Archeleta. After that we told them about how we always read "The Night Before Christmas" to our children when they were little. So, I got out my book and they asked me to share it with them. I read a page and then Munkhjin would translate what I said into Mongolian. It was fun to see them react to all of the antics of Santa as he entered down the chimney. We have had many nights before Christmas, but being so far away from home, our Mongolian friends made this one never to forget!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a wonderful night! Full of opportunity! I'm so happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Great story! Glad you did it!