Black and White

Monday, February 2, 2009

I am loving this new experience!


When all of our kids were at home I would often write notes and letters to them and place them on their beds. Sometimes they would write me back. I have kept all the letters that they wrote to me. I love re-reading them. It is a gift.

Last year, one of my friends, shared something with me that has changed my life as a mother. She told me about a journal that she keeps with her daughter. They write back and forth to each other. I was was intrigued. Paul and I tried to help our children with journaling over the years, but we were not the best examples of consistency, so when I heard about this daughter/mom journal, I got sort of excited about making another attempt.

Last Mother's day, I decorated a journal as a gift for Laura. I made the cover pretty feminine with scrap booking materials. I started the journal by writing my feelings for her and telling her how much she means to me. Next, I told her about when I was 12 (her age at that time) and then asked her a few questions. That afternoon, I gave the journal to Laura. I explained that I would write to her and she could write back to me. Any time we finished our entries to the other person, we were to place the journal on their pillow. I can not tell you how much this has meant to Laura and I. She asks me things that have never come up in conversation and I answer them, and then ask her things back. We share our feelings and appreciation for things. I am grateful that a friend shared this concept with me. I wish I had been able to do it with all of my children, while they were still home. I wrote to Laura last night. I can't wait to see the journal appear on my pillow. I am loving this!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! It sounds like a wonderful experience for your family - fun, meaningful, and in every way rewarding. I like the journal idea instead of just notes or cards. Thanks for sharing -- I wish I'd had that idea when my little girl was growing up...