Black and White

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Je parle anglais et un peu francais.....well sort of


I have started my Berlitz language training. Yay! I spent one on one time with a woman that spoke no English with me. It was like spending 1.5 hours with a mental jigsaw puzzle. It has been 35 years since I formally took French. When I got home from class, my head was spinning. I spent that evening trying to do my homework. Laura, our daughter, who has taken a few years of French, helped me a little, but she reminded me that the teacher wanted to see what I could do, not what she could do. I believe she got those words from me. Karma, bites! I smiled at her reply and dug in to do my work.

I completed my homework and awoke the next morning to practice, when the doorbell rang and a repairman showed up at our door to work on the new kick-board for the kitchen. He spoke no English. I was able to greet him, invite him in and ask a few basic questions. I tried to recall other things that I learned, but every time he asked me something, my mind went blank.

I am leaving in a few minutes for my next lesson. I am bound and determined to get French into this fifty-four year old head!!!

1 comment:

marieb said...

YOU CAN DO IT! It's exhausting but so worth it - just keep trying and don't be afraid to make mistakes. You'll do wonderfully!